Sunday, July 19, 2009

ARTIST YOU SHOULD KNOW: THOMAS DERRICK

So I'm walking down the street, my eyes are open. I was raised in a home that encouraged trash picking in the sense that other's garbarge is at times other people's treasure. More than half of my folk's house is filled with Victorian artifacts that serve as furniture. I don't think theres one piece within our home that was produced post 1960s. as a result, my eyes are always open when I travel the streets. And so walking down the street the other day, I noticed on top of a heap of literal garbage disregarded on the sidewalk without a bag with which to contain, was a clearly older looking book that called to me. Once I picked it up and scanned its pages properly I realized I had struck gold. It was a french edition of 'Uncle Tom's Cabin' illustrated by Thomas Derrick, published in 1927 by Philadelphia 's George W. Jacobs Publishing co. unfamiliar with his work, I immediately returned home to research Derrick. Who was in 1020s and 1930s a well known illustrator. I think the images speak for themselves.










No comments:

Post a Comment